7/17/2015 (updated 7/31/2015) – OKC, OK — An Oklahoma City woman and four men have been named in a federal indictment alleging their involvement in a child sex trafficking ring operating in the metro.
Sanford Coats, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma announced that Tonya Gay Gum, (aka, ‘Carmen’, aka ‘Lisa’), 42, was the head of a criminal organization that sold girls as young as 14 and 15-years old to ‘Johns’ seeking sex locally.
The four men named in the indictment are alleged to have had sex with the young girls and have been identified as; Trung N. Duong, William M. Baker, Russell D. Ehrens, and Curtis A. Anthony.
Three of the male defendants were arrested last Thursday – Ehrens has yet to be taken into custody.
KFOR News channel 4’s Abby Broyles interviewed JohnTV’s own Brian Bates about this case…
According to court records, Gum maintained numerous ads in the Oklahoma City Yellow Pages phone book for escort services she operated. At least 20 telephone numbers appearing in numerous prostitution related ads have been linked back to Gum.
The identified phone numbers and business names include;
- A Able Angel – 405-948-1533
- A Dark Star – 405-634-8880
- A Latin Amore – 405-321-1582
- A Midnight Fantasy – 405-799-1895
- A Spicy Temptation – 405-720-2422
- Absolute Angels – 405-292-5580
- After hour Fantasy 405-321-2710
- Always Ready 405-672-5252
- An Asian Party 405-844-2666
- Asian Delights 405-685-0110
- Baywatch Beauties 405-235-1556
- Blonde Bombshells 405-787-9111
- Bored Girlfriends 405-292-3019
- Cherry Delite 405-341-2928
- Daytime Dolls 405-376-5755
- Desires Over 30 405-732-4320
- Gals Gone Wild 405-782-0877
- Ladies by Mercedes 405-946-0440
- Peaches & Cream Internationals 405-793-8088
- Private Parties 405-949-2333
Prosecutors allege that Gum was not your typical pimp or sex trafficker. Gum acted as a middleman – maintaining relationships with numerous pimps and sex traffickers in and around Oklahoma City.
Investigators detail how Gum’s criminal organization worked;
“When a prospective customer calls one of [Gum’s] phone numbers, [Gum] arranges a date for that customer based on the customer’s preferences. Much like a dispatcher. [Gum] contacts an escort that fits the customer’s preferences. [Gum] negotiates the length of time, price, and location for a commercial sex transaction with the customer and coordinates with the escort and/or her pimp for availability and scheduling.
After [Gum] has arranged the logistics, the escort’s pimp drives the escort to the customer’s home or a predetermined location for the date, and the escort calls [Gum] to confirm her arrival and start the clock. The pimp waits outside. [Gum] then calls the escort at the end of the agreed upon time period and instructs her to conclude the date.
At the conclusion of the date, the escort leaves the residence or hotel room or commercial space of the customer and calls [Gum] from the car of her pimp to confirm location for the money drop. The pimp then drives the escort to the money drop location, where the escort personally delivers [Gum’s] share of the commercial sex fee to [Gum.] The remaining proceeds are given to the pimp, who controls, secures, guards, maintains, harbors, feeds, and clothes the escort.”
This case is reported to be the result of an investigation by the Department of Homeland Security and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics (Human Trafficking Unit).
Gum's alleged child sex trafficking organization was exposed when two child sex traffickers, that provided young girls to Gum's clients, were busted selling underage girls online. At the time of their arrest, the two sex traffickers were operating out of a motel near NW 122nd and I-35. The two sex traffickers then reportedly provided authorities with details of Gum's criminal sex trafficking operation in hopes of reducing their own prison sentences (apparently 'no snitching' doesn't apply to sex traffickers).
For undisclosed reasons, federal prosecutors appear desperate to hide the true identities of the two child sex traffickers from the public - referring to them in all paperwork only as "CI#1" and CI#2" (Confidential Informant).
JohnTV is working diligently to uncover the names of the alleged child sex traffickers despite the federal governments attempts to conceal them.
A third CI (CI#3) is also identified in court paperwork as an adult female prostitute who is being treated as an adult sex trafficking victim of CI#1 and CI#2. Despite the federal government labeling CI#3 as an adult sex trafficking victim, CI#3 was still forced by prosecutors to previously plead guilty to one count for initially misrepresenting facts about CI#1 and CI#2's conduct toward the two child sex trafficking victims.
According to court paperwork, in early Oct. 2014 CI#1, CI#2 and CI#3 recruited two juvenile females (14 and 15 years old) to prostitute for them. The juveniles are only identified by their birth years (2000 and 1999) and the initials R.W. and M.M. CI#1, CI#2 and CI#3 had allegedly conducted prostitution related business with Gum in the past.
On Oct. 9, 2014, at around 2:23am, CI#3 sent Gum a partially nude photo of their 14-year old victim (and two other girls) and the two had the following text message exchange;
Gum: What names do you all go by?
CI#3: Red, Sweet Tea, Goddess.
Gum: I will put you all on. Whenever [I] get a call I will call you.
CI#3: Thank you. Turn us on.
Gum: Ok, is the white girl in the red skirt?
CI#3: No, she in a call. She will be out in a minute. Yes.
Gum: Are you all on.
Gum: Ok, great, I will start calling regulars.
CI#3: Ok, thank you.
UPDATE: JohnTV has learned the identities of the two pimps/traffickers referred to as CI#1 and CI#2 above. Recently discovered court records identify the men as convicted felon and registered sex offender Maurice Morlee Johnson and convicted rapist Hiram Mitchell III. Both men recently pleaded guilty to federal charges of child sex trafficking and are awaiting sentencing.
After JohnTV published Johnson and Mitchell's names, the federal government sought and was able to obtain a protective order sealing their identities from public record or disclosure. You can read about that in detail in JohnTV's 7/13/2015 article U.S. Prosecutor Seeks "Protective Order" Sealing the Identities of Child Sex Traffickers After JohnTV Publishes Their Names; Prosecutor Cites U.S. vs. Bin Laden
As for the ‘Johns’ who allegedly paid to have sex with one or both of the child sex trafficking victims;
- Trung N. Duong, identified as a resident of Oklahoma City. Said to have contacted Gum on more than one occasion between Oct. 8 and Oct. 27 of 2014 and that on more than one occasion one of the juveniles was transported to him at his residence in the 3300 block on N. Walker Ave. in OKC. It is also alleged that an adult human trafficking victim was also provided to Duong for commercial sex.
- William M. Baker, identified as a resident of Oklahoma City. Said to have contacted Gum on Oct. 18, 2014 and that on one occasion one of the female juveniles was transported to him at his residence in the 4000 block of NW 33rd Street in OKC. It is also alleged that an adult human trafficking victim was also provided to Baker for commercial sex.
- Russell D. Ehrens, identified as a temporary resident of Oklahoma City. Said to have contacted Gum on Oct. 15, 2014 and that one of the juveniles was transported to his apartment in the 14100 block of N. Rockwell Ave. in OKC.
- Curtis A. Anthony, identified as a resident of Oklahoma City. Said to have contacted Gum on Oct. 25, 2014 and that both juvenile females were transported to a commercial location at 4455 Woods and Sons in Edmond, OK. Prosecutors allege that Anthony paid for both juveniles to take off their clothes in his presence. It is then alleged that Anthony paid to engage in sex with one of the juveniles.
Some readers may be wondering why JohnTV has not included mugshots of Gum and the four alleged 'Johns' named above. Unfortunately, the federal court system in the U.S.A. protects the identities of criminals and child sexual predators by not releasing mugshots to the public or news media.
Gum is described as a black female. Three of the alleged 'Johns' are described as Caucasian and one as Asian.
According to the federal indictment, all five defendants;
Court documents do not specify whether or not the four male defendants specifically requested or knew they were engaging in commercial sex acts with juveniles. Regardless, the age of consent in Oklahoma for sex is 16 years of age. Anyone between the ages of 16 and 17 are automatically considered sex trafficking victims. Those under the age of 16 are automatically considered to be child sex trafficking victims.
All five defendants are federally charged with conspiracy to commit child sex trafficking and child sex trafficking.
If convicted, each defendant faces up to life in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Federal prosecutors have announced that they plan to seize the homes and/or commercial properties of the ‘Johns’ where these alleged child sex trafficking acts took place.
Gum currently rents her residence in the 6300 block of Whispering Grove Drive with her husband (convicted felon Douglas ‘Doug’ Gum of Gum Construction) and at least one young adult male child. JohnTV has been told that Gum has other younger children that are being raised by other family members.
JohnTV has spoken to Gum’s landlord and they tell us they were unaware of any illegal activities and that the Gums were served with eviction papers the day after authorities served a search warrant on the home.
If you have information about Gum that you want to share with JohnTV, please either comment below or send us an email. You can remain anonymous.
JohnTV readers will recall that in 2013, Oklahoma City Police Detective, FBI task force and OCPD Predator Interdiction Unit member Robert Kemmet publicly stated that “child prostitution in Oklahoma is negligible (aka, insignificant) at best.” This, even though there is mounting evidence daily to the contrary.
JohnTV will continue to follow this case.
On July 22, JohnTV.com’s own Brian Bates distributed fliers in Gum’s neighborhood, alerting her neighbors to the danger she poses.
Related JohnTV Articles:
- 7/31/2015 - U.S. Prosecutor Seeks "Protective Order" Sealing the Identities of Child Sex Traffickers After JohnTV Publishes Their Names; Prosecutor Cites U.S. vs. Bin Laden
- 8/16/2016 – JohnTV – JohnTV puts NW OKC neighborhood on notice of child sex trafficker living in their neighborhood.
- 7/17/2015 – KFOR Ch4 – Prosecutors: Oklahoma woman used Yellow Pages to run prostitution ring. LINK
- 7/18/2015 – NewsOK.com – Five OKC residents accused of child sex trafficking crimes. LINK
- 7/22/2015 – KWTV Ch9 – OKC woman accused of running child sex trafficking ring.” LINK
- The Wyoming Secretary of State has a record showing a Tonya G. Gum as a ‘manager’ for a business filing for Oklahoma City Entertainment, LLC from 3/10/2006. LINK
- Tonya Gay Gum received a traffic violation in Jan. of 2015 for “failure to protect a child under 13 with a seat belt” and listed her home address as 6300 Whispering Grove Dr. in Oklahoma City. LINK
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum are currently listed as the owners of a $42,000 home in the 3600 block of SE 15th in Del City, OK. LINK County information lists the contact information for the address as the same address listed above (#2) on Whispering Grove Dr.
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum were listed as the owners of a $420,000 home in the 8100 block of NW 129TH PL in Oklahoma City that was repossessed in 2007-2010. LINK
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum are both listed as previous owners of a $175,000 property in the 2700 block of NW 45th in Oklahoma City that appears to have fallen into foreclosure. LINK
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum are both listed as previous owners of a $50,000 property in the 3800 block of SE 26th in Del City, OK that appears to have fallen into foreclosure. LINK
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum are both listed as previous owners of a $86,000 property in the 4300 block of SE 42nd in Del City, OK that appears to have fallen into foreclosure. LINK
- Tonya G. Gum and Douglas R Gum are both listed as previous owners of a $45,000 property in the 3900 block of Teal Dr. in Del City, OK that appears to have fallen into foreclosure. LINK
- In 2006 a Tonya G. Gum was granted a divorce from Douglas R Gum. However, just one month laster the couple was granted an order vacating and setting aside their divorce decree. LINK
- In 2013 Dealers Finance Co, LLC sued a Tonya Gum in Oklahoma County and was awarded monetary judgement. LINK